Our North Los Angeles Lemon Law Attorney Explains the Process
Very few things in life are as frustrating as spending thousands of dollars on a vehicle only to experience constant and serious problems. For some unlucky car owners, no number of repair attempts can fix the issues plaguing their vehicles. Fortunately, state and federal lemon laws may help these vehicle owners obtain compensation. One form of compensation for lemon law claims is a “buyback”. Below, our North Los Angeles lemon law attorney explains the buyback process.
Is My Vehicle a Lemon?
You may qualify for a lemon law buyback if your vehicle is a lemon. In California, your vehicle may be a lemon if:
- You made four or more repair attempts for the same issue;
- Two or more of these repair attempts involved an issue that could cause injury or death;
- You cannot use your vehicle for more than 30 days because it is in the shop for repairs;
- These issues happen within the first 18 months or 18,000 miles of purchasing your vehicle.
Can I Get a Lemon Law Buyback?
If your vehicle is currently under warranty or was under warranty when the problem occurred and when you made your repair attempts, then you may be able to qualify for a lemon law buyback. Your vehicle could be available for a buyback if the manufacturer made a “reasonable number of attempts to repair the issue.”
If your vehicle qualifies as a lemon, the manufacturer may offer to replace the vehicle or offer you a buyback. If the manufacturer cannot offer a replacement vehicle, it must purchase your vehicle. During a buyback, compensation may include:
- The down payment on your vehicle.
- Monthly payments made on the vehicle.
- The principal balance left on the vehicle.
- Taxes, fees and other damages related to the vehicle (rental cars, towing expenses, etc).
Depending on what occurred while you sought your multiple repair attempts, you may be eligible for additional types of compensation.
Can a Used Car Qualify for a Lemon Law Buyback?
Possibly. The same rules above apply to used cars. If you purchased your vehicle under warranty, then you may be eligible for a buyback. The best way to determine your eligibility in our state is to contact a California lemon law attorney. Leased vehicles may also be eligible for a lemon law buyback under the right circumstances.
Contact Our North Los Angeles Lemon Law Attorney
Questions about federal or California lemon laws? Contact our North Los Angeles lemon law attorney to schedule a free consultation. We can explain your possible legal options for filing a lemon law claim or obtaining a lemon law buyback.